If you want to lose weight and/or build muscle, then the Squat is for you! Squats work a variety of muscles in your body and have amazing benefits. The most important thing to know about squats is how to do them correctly! If you don’t know how to do them using proper form, then consult a professional and learn the technique that will get you results and prevent you from injury.
Here are 5 quick tips to a proper squat!
- Put all the pressure and balance of the weight on your heels and not your toes. This allows for better hip mobility and squat depth.
- Look straight forward and avoid looking down at the ground. Proper spine alignment is essential when using a lot of weight to prevent injuries.
- Breathe! Failure to practice proper breathing while squatting may cause you to get dizzy and light-headed. Breathe in on the way down and exhale on the way up!
- Leave your ego at the door! Squat with an amount of weight that you can do with correct form. Focus on your range of motion and time under tension. In addition to being less beneficial for muscle growth, doing partial reps with too much weight increases your risk of getting hurt.
- Use an athletic stance and keep your knees slightly bent with your toes pointed outward. Not only does this improve stabilization and mobility it also puts less stress on your knee joints!