With the passing of the years our bodies lose their ability of controlling certain functions that impacts our balance and coordination.
Although in the early stages of balance and coordination problems seniors don’t observe many side effects, when the condition gets worse they start experience all kind of problems that affect their body capacity of movement.
Balance problems that occur in seniors.
- When a person suffers from a loss of balance he can experience the following things:
- Environment spinning/ moving
- Blurred vision
- Floating sensation
Seniors suffering from balance problems usually are predisposed to all sort of injuries, mostly because they can fall pretty easily and damage their bones, joints and muscles. Damaging these 3 things can impact the sense of balance even more. At a young age these types of injuries would not have been a big deal, but when you are old your body repairs much harder and less efficient.
- Fortunately, except of medications the sense of balance can be improved also with the help of the following things:
- Strength training
- Cardiovascular training
- Mobility and flexibility exercises
Coordination problems that occur in seniors
- Losing the capacity of coordination can lead to many problems that can affect the body’s ability to function properly:
- Wider stance of the feet
- Unstable steps
- Inefficient postural adjustments
- Speech problems
- Hand writing problems
- Slow eye movements
- There are also other problems that can occur due to the loss of coordination in the body, problems that will impact negatively the sufferer’s life:
- Problems doing daily chores
- Inability to work in a job that requires coordination of eye, hands or feet
- Inability to perform sporting activities
In seniors coordination can be improved through the help of exercises, mainly through special programs designed by professionals only for them.
It is also known that seniors usually suffer from problems of balance and coordination due to the fact that with the passing of the years they start doing physical activities at smaller degrees, thing which makes the brain communicate poorly with the muscles from specific zones of the body. The muscles that have an altered connection with the brain lose their capacity to control the movements that they were supposed to do, thing which can lead to problems of balance and coordination.
So, if you are a person that has the bad luck of developing problems of balance and coordination you shouldn’t panic, but neither to just sit and do nothing. There are many solutions for these types of problems, solutions which are safe and effective.